Bacille Calmette-Guerin (BCG) vaccine
- reduces the severity of childhood TB in places where incidence is high
- people who received the vaccine in childhood will have positive PPD
- Quantiferon will not be positive
Posted 09/28/16 02:03:54 PM by Anna Krigel
Fever of Unknown Origin Major Categories
- Infectious diseases
- Autoimmune diseases (e.g. vasculitis, RA)
Fever of Unknown Origin Testing
- ESR/CRP, LDH
- tuberculin skin testing (PPD) or interferon-gamma release assay (Quantiferon)
- Blood cultures
- ANA, RF
- CT chest/abdomen/pelvis
Posted 09/28/16 02:38:38 PM by Anna Krigel
Subacute bacterial endocarditis
- Common organisms
- viridans group strep
- HACEK organisms (now better cultured in Bactec bottles)
- bartonella, brucella
- Indications for early surgical consultation for infective endocarditis
- persistent vegetation after systemic embolization
- AV or MV vegetation >10mm, especially if mobile
- difficult to treat pathogen
- MR or AI resulting in clinical heart failure
- paravalvular extension with abscess, valve perforation, heart block
Posted 09/28/16 02:44:37 PM by Anna Krigel
For further reading...
Posted 09/28/16 02:51:41 PM by Anna Krigel
Created by Christopher Kelly
Know a hypochondriac? Get them the best-selling book 'AM I DYING?!: A Complete Guide to Your Symptoms, and What to Do Next'
The information on the website does not constitute official guidelines except where explicitly stated.
It is not meant to replace the advice of a health professional.