Pearls from Dr. Jessica Starr
Liver involvement in hyperthyroidism
- Ranges from mild elevations in alkaline phosphatase and AST/ALT to acute liver injury.
- Jaundice in 20%, usually w/ concomitant CHF, underlying hepatic dysfunction.
- “Severe thyrotoxicosis should not delay use of potentially life-saving thionamidesonce a thorough evaluation for other causes of liver disease has been completed.”
- Often initiate once emergent causes of liver dysfcn ruled out (obstruction-abd US, viral hepatitis-abs/PCR, auto-immune-ANA/Anti-SM, APAP abuse)
Posted 03/07/17 09:03:29 AM by Matthew Cummings
Hyperthyroidisim and liver dysfunction
- Hypermetabolic state --> Increased hepatic oxygen consumption without increasing hepatic blood flow --> Lower oxygen tension in centrilobular zones --> Altered bile transport (glucuronidases)
Posted 03/07/17 09:05:54 AM by Matthew Cummings
For further reading...
Posted 03/07/17 09:08:09 AM by Matthew Cummings
Created by Christopher Kelly
Know a hypochondriac? Get them the best-selling book 'AM I DYING?!: A Complete Guide to Your Symptoms, and What to Do Next'
The information on the website does not constitute official guidelines except where explicitly stated.
It is not meant to replace the advice of a health professional.