Initial treatment for beta blocker overdose
- Reasonable to start with pushes of glucagon and assess for response
- If temporary response, can start infusion
- Consider IV calcium if concern for concomitant CCB use - can also help with contractility
Review beta blocker types
- Mixed alpha and beta: carvedilol, labetalol
- Selective beta: metoprolol, esmolol
- Nonselective beta: propranolol, nadolol
- Instrinsic sympathomimetic activity: acebutalol
- Not used often (tachy/brady syndrome, patients experiencing side effects on other beta blockers)
Remember that beta blockers potentiate the effects of insulin and can cause hypoglycemia in overdose!
Posted 06/20/17 01:08:54 AM by Iheanacho (Obi) Emeruwa
For further reading...
Posted 06/20/17 01:11:57 AM by Iheanacho (Obi) Emeruwa
Created by Christopher Kelly
The information on the website does not constitute official guidelines except where explicitly stated.
It is not meant to replace the advice of a health professional.