Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP)
- Truvada (emtricitabine and Tenofovir)
- When taken consistently, PrEP has been shown to reduce the risk of HIV infection in people who are at high risk by up to 92%
- Recommended for adults at high risk of HIV acquisition
- Sexually Active MSM (HIV positive partner, Recent STI, high number of partners, inconsistent condom use, sex worker)
- Heterosexual Men and Women (HIV positive partner, Recent STI, High number of sex partners, inconsistent condom use, sex worker, High-prevalence area)
- Injection Drug Use (Sharing equipment)
Posted 04/11/17 02:55:47 PM by Ying Liu
Lymphogranuloma Venereum (LGV)
- Genital ulcer disease caused by the L1, L2, and L3 serovars of Chlamydia trachomatis
- Historically seen in tropical areas but increasingly seen in MSM (strong associated with HIV) and may present as proctatitis
- Primarily a disease of lymphatic tissue and can cause necrosis and abscess formation within lymph nodes
- Primary Infection – genital ulcer
- Secondary Infection
- Inguinal syndrome (inflammation of superficial and deep inguinal nodes
- Anorectal Syndrome – proctocolitis and inflammatory mass
- Diagnose via Nucleic acid amplification (rectal, oral, urethral swabs)
- Treat with doxycycline for 21 days; 2nd line therapy is erythromycin
- Partners should be screened and treated
Posted 04/11/17 02:57:14 PM by Ying Liu
Created by Christopher Kelly
Know a hypochondriac? Get them the best-selling book 'AM I DYING?!: A Complete Guide to Your Symptoms, and What to Do Next'
The information on the website does not constitute official guidelines except where explicitly stated.
It is not meant to replace the advice of a health professional.