Liver involvement in hyperthyroidism
- Ranges from mild elevations in alkaline phosphatase and AST/ALT to acute liver injury.
- Jaundice in 20%, usually w/ concomitant CHF, underlying hepatic dysfunction.
- “Severe thyrotoxicosis should not delay use of potentially life-saving thionamidesonce a thorough evaluation for other causes of liver disease has been completed.”
- Often initiate once emergent causes of liver dysfcn ruled out (obstruction-abd US, viral hepatitis-abs/PCR, auto-immune-ANA/Anti-SM, APAP abuse)
Posted 03/07/17 09:03:29 AM by Matthew Cummings
Hyperthyroidisim and liver dysfunction
- Hypermetabolic state --> Increased hepatic oxygen consumption without increasing hepatic blood flow --> Lower oxygen tension in centrilobular zones --> Altered bile transport (glucuronidases)
Posted 03/07/17 09:05:54 AM by Matthew Cummings
For further reading...
Posted 03/07/17 09:08:09 AM by Matthew Cummings
Created by Christopher Kelly
The information on the website does not constitute official guidelines except where explicitly stated.
It is not meant to replace the advice of a health professional.