Pericardial effusion: reported in 30% to 80% of subjects with hypothyroidism
- Usually associated with severity of disease
- Tamponade rare as effusions typically slow growing and rarely large
- Responsive to thyroid hormone replacement
Posted 03/02/17 09:13:20 AM by Matthew Cummings
Severe hypothyroidism and risk of adrenal insufficiency
- Primary hypothyroidism --> risk of primary AI; secondary hypothyroidism --> hypopituitarism and secondary AI.
- Potential risk of precipitating acute adrenal insufficiency caused by the accelerated metabolism of cortisol that follows T4 therapy.
- Send AM cortisol, low threshold for stress dose hydrocortisone
Posted 03/02/17 09:19:30 AM by Matthew Cummings
For further reading...
Posted 03/02/17 09:22:20 AM by Matthew Cummings
Created by Christopher Kelly
The information on the website does not constitute official guidelines except where explicitly stated.
It is not meant to replace the advice of a health professional.