Mantle cell lymphoma signature: CD19+, CD20+, CD5+, CD23-, t(11;14) with overexpression of the cyclin D1 (bcl-1) gene
- Leukemic involvement: often more indolent course than without
Posted 02/28/17 11:19:10 AM by Matthew Cummings
Hyperviscosity syndrome: First described by Jan Waldenström in his original 1944 report of 2 patients with macroglobulinemia.
- Elevated serum/plasma viscosity (either from circulating Igs in plasma cell dyscrasias or WBCs in hyperleukocytosis)
- Bleeding (skin/mucosal)
- Blurred vision, dizziness, HA --> marked retinal venous engorgement resembling hot dogs on a string (“sausaging”)
- Volume overload
Posted 02/28/17 11:21:20 AM by Matthew Cummings
Indication for PLEX in HVS: ANY symptoms!
- Should be done prior to or in combination w/ chemotherapy (often steroids)
Posted 02/28/17 11:25:29 AM by Matthew Cummings
Ibrutinib for Relapsed/Refractory MCL (NEJM 2013)
- Bruton's tyrosine kinase inhibitor
- BTK: mediator of the B-cell–receptor signaling pathway, chronically activated in MCL
- Phase 2 study of ibrutinib in 111 patients with relapsed or refractory MCL.
- Two study arms: those who had previously received at least 2 cycles of bortezomib therapy and those who had received <2 cycles of bortezomibor no prior bortezomib.
- Response rate of 68% (75 patients): complete response rate of 21% and partial response rate of 47%; no effect of prior bortezomib.
- Overall survival 58% at 18 months.
Posted 02/28/17 11:29:27 AM by Matthew Cummings
For further reading...
Posted 02/28/17 11:31:35 AM by Matthew Cummings
Created by Christopher Kelly
Know a hypochondriac? Get them the best-selling book 'AM I DYING?!: A Complete Guide to Your Symptoms, and What to Do Next'
The information on the website does not constitute official guidelines except where explicitly stated.
It is not meant to replace the advice of a health professional.